Thursday, February 17, 2011

Cheap and Easy

Not everything new to my kitchen requires an innovative recipe and a near-alchemical process resulting in delicious food. Some things that definitely count as "new to me" just require me realizing that that oh-so-simple, oh-so-yummy food that I love and am willing to shell out for at a restaurant is super simple to make at home.

Case in point: caprese panini.

Caprese, often served without the bread as a salad, is usually just mozzarella, basil and tomatoes. The key to any recipe that requires such simple ingredients is to get quality. When you only have four or five elements going into a dish, each of those elements should be the best you can get.


I couldn't find any flat panini-type bread, so I ended up using a soft roll with a very crispy exterior. What a good decision that turned out to be! 

This might seem like nothing, like hardly even worth writing a blog post about, but when you can produce something this good out of your own kitchen for WAY CHEAPER than what you would pay at the store for it, I say its worth sharing. 

Again, mozzarella, basil, tomatoes, good bread. Squish and grill like this


Nom like this



2 comments: